* Opinion piece: “Home birth not worth risk, Dannii” - Herald Sun, July 9
* Story: “Dannii's bouncing bundle of controversy” - 7pm Project, July 8
* Video: “Risks involved with home birth” featuring an interview with obstetrician Dr Gino Pecoraro. Search for “home birth” here - 7pm Project, July 8.
* “U.S. home birth risk review 'political': MD” – CBC News, July 2
But Dr. Michael Klein, an emeritus professor of family practice and pediatrics at the University of British Columbia, said the U.S. conclusions are "crap" that don't consider the facts.
"It's a politically motivated study that was motivated by the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology who is unalterably opposed to home birth, and they probably were quite happy to publish this article because it fits with their political position," Klein said.
* Blog post: “A new meta-analysis on the safety of home birth?” Science & Sensibility: A Research Blog About Healthy Pregnancy, Birth & Beyond from Lamaze International, July 5
The meta-analysis is compromised by the inclusion of a deeply flawed study that relies on birth certificates and includes preterm births, unplanned home births, and home births attended by unqualified providers. In the only analysis in which the researchers excluded this study, the significant excess of neonatal mortality disappeared.