Maternity Reforms Update
June 17, 2010
Maternity Coalition are concerned about the requirements for collaboration in the insurance policy underwritten by the Federal Government. MC is aware of midwives who are unable to find collaborative solutions at their local hospitals and who cannot, therefore, meet requirements for insurance to continue to practise as a midwife.
Maternity Coalition wants to gain assurance from NMBA, State Ministers and the Federal Minister for Health that women’s birthing rights will be protected from 1 July.
This update will cover:
* National Registration and Accreditation Scheme insurance requirements
* Insurance options and “collaborative arrangements”
* Homebirth exemption criteria and the Safety and Quality Framework guiding midwifery care by Privately Practising Midwives attending homebirths
* Medical Benefits Scheme (MBS) and Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) access
* Where this all leaves homebirth
***Edited on 19 June to note: This update from 17 June was edited yesterday (18 June) to reflect more recent developments. Please re-read it and continue to visit MC's website for updates. ***