Maternity Consumer Representative Training Program
The Queensland Centre for Mothers and Babies has partnered with Health Consumers QLD and Maternity Coalition to develop, implement and evaluate a pilot training program specifically for consumer representatives of maternity services.
This pilot training program aims to support consumers to be actively involved in policy, service planning and evaluation decision-making about maternity services in Queensland. The pilot will target areas with maternity facilities planning significant maternity model of care changes.
If you’ve ever been pregnant and have an interest in improving your local pregnancy, birth and post-natal care options then you can be a part of this training program. It’s not essential, but you might also identify with one of the following characteristics:
• are currently active in a maternity consumer organisation
• have an interest in policy, planning, service delivery and evaluation of maternity services
• live in an area where your local maternity facility is planning significant changes to the way in which women receive care (model of care changes) and are interested in maternity issues – or you may want your local facility to plan some significant changes!
Training participants will not need any specific skills or qualifications. Efforts are being made to ensure a broad demographic of consumers will participate in the training.
The first training workshop is planned to take place in Brisbane on Thursday, June 30, 2011 with another workshop planned for early 2012. We’ll give participants the assistance they need to attend the workshop. Workshop participants will receive on-going support through:
• on-line resources
• networking with other consumer representatives across the state
• mentored by consumer consultants and/or other experienced consumer representatives.
How you can help
We would also like you all to spread the word about this project in the following ways:
Let fellow consumers and consumer groups know that they can access this training.
Register your interest in participating in this training. Call 07 3346 3069 or email email@example.com
If you’re an experienced consumer representative and would like to support and mentor another person, please call or email us on the contact details above.
For maternity workers:
Keep an eye out for consumers who might be interested in consumer representation and this training program.
Contact Health Consumers QLD for advice and support to facilitate a positive relationship with your consumer representatives. Ph: 1800 613 251 or 32340611
For more information contact:
Queensland Centre for Mothers and Babies
Ali Gaffney, Bec Jenkinson or Joanne Smethurst
Ph: 07 3346 3069